You can find a roll of duct tape in any toolbox due to its strong stickiness, versatility, and accessibility. That’s because duct tape is manufactured using natural fiber compounds that give it long-term adhesion properties. This is the number one reason that most people love to use duct tape in multiple projects.
However, the high-quality adhesion properties of duct tape can become a curse when it comes time to remove it.
The high-quality adhesive backing or residue makes it harder to remove it.
Removing it in the wrong way can damage your targeted surface or object due to strong residue. Therefore, you have to follow particular tips and tricks according to the properties of targeted surfaces. This article will explain the materials used to remove duct tape through various surfaces
The Materials for Removing Duct Tape Residue
Before choosing any material to remove duct tape residue, you should ensure that the material’s properties match the properties of the targeted surface. This action will help quickly and effectively remove duct tape residue. Some most used materials to remove duct tape residue are listed below:
- Sodium carbonate
- Goo Gone
- Laundry agent
- Clean cloth
- Vegetable oil
- Isopropyl alcohol
- Olive oil
- Liquid dishwashing agent
- WD 40
4 Ways to Remove Duct Tape Residue
Whichever way you choose to remove the duct tape residue,it depends on the condition of the duct tape residue. For example, you can choose to remove duct tape residue through a scraper only if the residue is not stubborn. This method can be used for situations when duct tape residue is minimal.
On the other hand, when duct tape residue is hard to remove, you can adopt methods such as hair drying or solvent. Wetting the duct tape residue or applying heat can make it softer and easier to remove. Some most adopted ways are given below:
- Scraper method
- Warm water method
- Hair dryer usage
- Using lubricants or alcohols
The scrapping method works like a magic when duct tape residue is not stubborn to remove from the surface. You can use a putty knife to scrap the duct tape residue. In this method, you have to start removing the duct tape residue from the end part. Slowly, you have to move towards the edges. To avoid gouge, you have to keep your scraper parallel to the surface. You have to be extra careful when working with vinyl o wood surfaces as they can be damaged easily
Warm Water Method
The warm water method works perfectly for higher gloss surfaces such as glass, linoleum, and vinyl. Warm water softens the duct tape residue which makes it easy to remove. You have to rub the duct tape residue slowly with a soft cloth. If it doesn’t work, try adding soap to the warm water. You can also soak the glass item in soapy warm water for much better results
Hair Dryer Usage
You can weaken the adhesion of duct tape residue by using heat through a hair dryer. This method is best for flat-painted wood or unfinished surfaces. It may require you to add extra effort but it is possible the safest way to remove duct tape residue. You have to keep the hair dryer at a distance of several inches with its higher setting.
Using Lubricants or Alcohol
Isopropyl alcohols or lubricants like oils can be very helpful for removing stubborn duct tape residue. In this method, you need to wear gloves for your safety. Then, you have to spray the lubricant or alcohol on the whole targeted surface. The duct tape residue will be softened so that you can easily remove it. You can also use soap and water to clean the surface after removing the duct tape residue. WD 40 can be used in this method.
How To Remove Duct Tape Residue Off The Car?
There are several methods to remove duct tape residue from the car. One of the most common method is to use WD 40 spray. You can either spray the WD 40 directly on the targeted area or simply spray it on a soft cloth and then use this cloth to rub the residue.
When you are rubbing the residue on the car’s surface, make sure that it doesn’t damage the surface of the car. If the surface finish is damaged, you may need to perform the surface treatment on the damaged area again.
The same WD 40 spray is also used to remove duct tape residue from the car’s interior. However, you should test it on a small part before trying to clean a large surface area. This will ensure that the interior of a car can be cleaned without getting damaged through WD 40 spray.
For leather seats, you can try using warm water to remove the duct tape residue. Using WD 40 spray on leather seats can damage them. Some other ways to remove duct tape residue off the car are listed below:
- Using a combination of soap and hot water.
- Heating the targeted area with a hair dryer.
- Using a scraper to get rid of residue. This technique can possibly damage the surface treatment.
- Application of a solvent to remove the duct tape residue.
- Using cooking oils that can soften the residue.
- Try removing duct tape residue through vinegar solution.
- Using an Isopropyl alcohol to remove duct tape residue.
How To Remove Duct Tape Residue From Different Surfaces?
As mentioned earlier, you must adopt different methods for removing the duct tape residue from different surfaces. There are a few ways explained below to remove duct tape residue from different surfaces:
- Choose an adhesive that is wood friendly. For example, goo gone.
- Apply Goo gone to duct tape residue directly.
- Give it time to soak in the glue.
- Lift the loosened duct tape residue using a paper towel. Repeat the process if necessary.
- Clean the area with a wet cloth and then dry it with a fresh cloth.
- You can use alcohol to remove duct tape residue from the glass surface. If you don’t have alcohol, you can also use vodka.
- Apply alcohol to the glass surface and let it soak into the duct tape residue.
- Move your cleaning cloth in circular motions to remove the loosened glue.
- Repeat the process if the duct tape residue is stubborn.
- Clean the finished surface with a wet cloth and then dry it.
- You can use a scraper to remove the duct tape residue from the wall. However, ensure that it doesn’t damage the wall surface when scrapping it.
- You should use warm water to soften the adhesive if the residue is too stubborn.
- Once it becomes soft, it becomes easy to remove by scraping it off the wall.
- The hair dryer method is most adopted for removing duct tape residue from the wall. You can make it warm, which will loosen the glue. This will make it easy to remove duct tape residue quickly.
You will find several ways to remove duct tape residue from a metal. A product specifically designed for duct tape residue removal will be the most effective way. In most metals, duct tape residue is removed using WD 40.
- Spray the WD 40 over the duct tape residue and leave it for a few minutes.
- After a few minutes, remove the loosened duct tape residue using a soft cloth.
- After removing duct tape residue, use soap and water to clean the surface.
- Now finally, you have to use a dry towel to dry out the surface.
- Make sure it doesn’t get into your eye.
For Clothing & Fabric
When removing duct tape residue from cloth, you can adopt several ways. This is because every cloth has properties, so you must choose a removing adhesive material carefully.
- If the cloth is made of leather material using warm water, it is enough to remove duct tape residue.
- You can soak the leather or cloth in warm water for fast removal of duct tape residue.
- Once you feel like it is removable, remove it using a soft cloth.
- You should not try to use a scrapper on leather as it can damage the surface.
- Repeat the process until duct tape residue is completely removed from the cloth.
For fabrics other than leather, you can adopt the following method:
- You can use a sanitizer to remove duct tape residue from the fabric.
- Soak the targeted area of fabric into the sanitizer.
- It will loosen the duct tape residue you can easily remove through a soft dry cloth.
- Use a laundry stain remover to remove stains left by duct tape residue.
Knowing different methods to remove duct tape residue can make the job easier for you. This article can help you tackle different surfaces and use different materials to remove duct tape residue. If you are looking for a high-quality duct tape manufacturer, Contact Us now. Our factory produce duct tapes that perfectly stick to any surface.